Beat someone's Typhoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Dogg

New member
Driving around one night in my '87 Supra Turbo - stock - and beat a local's Typhoon from a 45 roll... I WAS SURPRISED!!! :rotf:
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: Beat someone's Typhoon

What they are trying to tell you:


The aerodynamics of a stock 1992-93 GMC Typhoon with an inexperienced driver at the rate of 45 mph or over becomes equal to that of a brickwall.

Thus, can be shown as -


93.gmc.typhoon.f3-4.350.jpg
=
williamstownes.jpg
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Beat someone's Typhoon

Don't take this personally....

If a Typhoon lost to a stock 87 Supra Turbo from a roll, the Typhoon must have been out of tune. Typhoons aren't the best vehicle from a roll, but that generation of Supra would be a low 15 sec vehicle woth trap speeds of 92-93mph. This wouldn't be the first time we have seen a SyTy significantly under perform.
 

turbodog

Donating Member
Re: Beat someone's Typhoon

SYO237 said:
The aerodynamics of a stock 1992-93 GMC Typhoon with an inexperienced driver at the rate of 45 mph or over becomes equal to that of a brickwall.

I wanna know how driver experience can overcome bad aerodynamics. They never taught me that trick at the Starsky and Hutch school of high performance driving....
 

bezerk

New member
Re: Beat someone's Typhoon

turbodog said:
I wanna know how driver experience can overcome bad aerodynamics. They never taught me that trick at the Starsky and Hutch school of high performance driving....

you can spool the turbo without gaining speed.
i never done it before, but you can step a bit on the brakes so the turbo spools .......................
 

Jimmy

Banned
Re: Beat someone's Typhoon

One time I was trying to merge onto the highway and got my ass handed to me by a little Japanese 4 door.
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: Beat someone's Typhoon

turbodog said:
I wanna know how driver experience can overcome bad aerodynamics. They never taught me that trick at the Starsky and Hutch school of high performance driving....


bezerk said:
you can spool the turbo without gaining speed.
i never done it before, but you can step a bit on the brakes so the turbo spools .......................

Bingo.

aka, Rolling Boost Launch.


You gently apply brake pressure while slowly stepping into the throttle enough to maintain your speed and start spooling the turbo up. You let go of the brake and you get a "slingshot" effect.

Same principle as a boost launch, just moving.

And yes...just like a standard boost launch, its not good for your brakes, tranny, drivetrain and basically your entire truck to do it repeatedly.....then again, just driving our trucks isnt good for them. :roll: :rotf:


That'll be $29.95 for the lesson. You can send payments via Jimmy's paypal account.
 

odium

1BADGMC
Re: Beat someone's Typhoon

I would think that the sound of the sudden spooling would cause the other car to start earlier...
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: Beat someone's Typhoon

wicked said:
I would think that the sound of the sudden spooling would cause the other car to start earlier...

Possible... but when has streetracing ever been fair? Just make sure you slingshot yourself enough to roll past :rant: :D
 

bezerk

New member
Re: Beat someone's Typhoon

wicked said:
I would think that the sound of the sudden spooling would cause the other car to start earlier...

imagine you building boost for a few hours, cause you think you might get raced from a roll...

:rotf:
 

TurboManiacal

Donating Member
Re: Beat someone's Typhoon

bezerk said:
you can spool the turbo without gaining speed.
i never done it before, but you can step a bit on the brakes so the turbo spools .......................

You've never owned a Typhoon for a significant amount of time that runs.
 

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords
Re: Beat someone's Typhoon

SYO237 said:
What they are trying to tell you:


The aerodynamics of a stock 1992-93 GMC Typhoon with an inexperienced driver at the rate of 45 mph or over becomes equal to that of a brickwall.

Thus, can be shown as -


93.gmc.typhoon.f3-4.350.jpg
=
williamstownes.jpg

I laughed my azz off when I seen that post
 

blk00z28

Forced to by choice
Re: Beat someone's Typhoon

I have a civic turbo wanting to race me from a 40mph roll :roll:

I dont know who said it, but racing from a roll is like masterbating, in the end its still not the real thing. :lol: But I'll probably race him just to get him off my case. :roll:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top