does O-Ringing the cylinder block help?

V6 Kompressor

New member
I have "o" ringed a few big blocks for nitrous applications, and I am not sure if it is necessary for the sy/ty, with the excellent grade fel-pro and gm head gaskets available. If you "o" ring the block, you usually use a copper headgasket, which tends to be a bitch to keep sealed around the water ports. I have seen people use silicone to seal the gasket, but gasoline and antifreeze attack silicone. I use a product, that Bill Mitchell (A well renowned NY engine builder) told me to use. It is called Holomar, or something like that, and I have had good luck with it. Email Jwaller, I think he uses NOS on occasion on his ride, and through his experience, he would probably know. But if you run an engine hot, there is not much that is going to keep the combustion chamber sealed....Steve.
 

ghettosled

SYTY SUPERSTORE
for a street car that is driven alot the copper has a hard time sealing. I have mine o-ringed and receiver grooved b/c i plan on running alot of boost in the future. i do drive mine on the street but i change oil alot.

FOr most of the guys out there the felpros are pretty good. If you plan on pushing alot of cylinder pressure with big turbos and lots of boost, then it helps. Just depends on what your intentions are.
 

smeagol

Active member
typhoonrider, you've posted about a million questions regarding some extreme builds... WHAT exactly are you planning? I'm curious, but moreso I want to have people be able to help you in the best way possible. I don't think o ringing is necessary for most anyone running stock block stuff. The Syty stuff doesn't have a problem popping head gaskets like Buick stuff does.

Iffn you are planning a mild buildup, we don't have to waste our breath on all these crazy questions either :wink:
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
there is no need for O rings on a stock or even NOS syty....my problem was caused by running it hot....Even on a 150 shot.....I havent had any headgasket problems....just as mike sadi..there is no need with the quality gaskets available
 

ghettosled

SYTY SUPERSTORE
im running SCE copper. Like I mentioned I plan to make some good power in the near future, so for me the copper was almost a necessity. but for 95% of the people out there it is best to stick with the regular felpro gaskets.
 

tyndago

New member
We have a better headsealing design than lots of motors....

I have run boost and nitrous -no headgasket problems
 
Top