Door panel winter project

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
While it was cold out this winter and part of this past I worked on my door panel speaker project. I had kick pods, but I kept on kicking them, plus they had poor mid bass response. I tried to imitate the factory pockets within the mounting depth requirements on the speakers, I didn't want to mount them directly in the door and dynamat them, which probably would have been easier. This is what I started off with.

pas_door_panel.jpg

dr_door_panel.jpg


In Process

pas_door_encl_inc.jpg

Door_Enclosure.jpg


I tried to watch my weight, the enclosure and MDF weight 3#'s for each door, but the speaker were 5#'s each. I have to just carpet them (I plan to match the original as best as I can) and I should be done.

pass_z5_inc.jpg


I am undecided whether I want to move the enclosure opening forward, I would have cut a new piece of MDF and remove the existing one. The opening are centered in the pocket (The factory pocket overlap the seat as well). The speaker is very close to the seat and might look better more forward when closed.

dri_z5_inc.jpg
 
Re: Door panel winter project

Nice work Dave, I just made a box to go behind the back seat, for my 10" subs (I still have to make the drivers side) so I know you spent a lot of time doing that. It looks nice, but I think your right, it may look better a little forward.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Door panel winter project

I also did an enclosure for one 8' to fit between my seats. Its just square and currently uncarpeted.

I forgot to ask but doesn't any have any good sources/matches for our carpeting?
 

SEL777

One of 101
Re: Door panel winter project

Lookin Good. They look a little more leg room friendly than the Q-forms
 

Robert Lone

MUTANT
Re: Door panel winter project

dgoodhue said:
I also did an enclosure for one 8' to fit between my seats. Its just square and currently uncarpeted.

I forgot to ask but doesn't any have any good sources/matches for our carpeting?

Think Ken would know?

EDIT: What the hell did you put on your dash?
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Door panel winter project

T-56 said:
Think Ken would know?

EDIT: What the hell did you put on your dash?

It took me awhile to figure out what your asking, its a Dashmat. I never drive with it on, because it ends up in my lap.

MikerRenz said:
do you daily drive your sy?

No, I don't. Sometimes its been used a driver in nicer weather.
 

Robert Lone

MUTANT
Re: Door panel winter project

dgoodhue said:
It took me awhile to figure out what your asking, its a Dashmat. I never drive with it on, because it ends up in my lap.
I didn't think you would rice around sporting a lavender dashmat.:rotf:

The Ken comment was about the matching carpet for the doors. Maybe he knows someone with a line on the factory stuff.
 

warmpancakes

New member
Re: Door panel winter project

I can find some real close if needed personally I would do a suede or just a fabric the carpet wood be hard to form and look funny
 

stlSY

Truck RamRod
Re: Door panel winter project

Select Products has some great box carpets that with a little stretching and the correct adhesive will give you a great look. They also used to have a cool grill cloth that looked like suede, but I can't seem to find it anymore. I have some at my house, but it is light grey.
 

mmp142965

say it like you spell it!
Re: Door panel winter project

dave, do you want to sell the pieces you removed for your project? (that is if you infact removed them, cant tell from the pic) I have custom panels and would like the stock ones.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Door panel winter project

mmp142965 said:
dave, do you want to sell the pieces you removed for your project? (that is if you infact removed them, cant tell from some pic) I have custom panels and would like the stock ones.

They really aren't salvagable. The plastic backing has tabs/(almost like rivets) molded into the backing that is melted to the door panel. The first set I drill to far and the drill catching the carpet hacked up the carpet, the second set I did a perfect job with, but you would need to remove the carpet and attach them some how.

For the purist, my original door panel have a few scratches in them, the carpet around the pockets was a little frayed, probably from cleaning. At some point and time I will pick up a mint set of door panels...
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Door panel winter project

stlSY said:
Select Products has some great box carpets that with a little stretching and the correct adhesive will give you a great look. They also used to have a cool grill cloth that looked like suede, but I can't seem to find it anymore. I have some at my house, but it is light grey.

I have known about selectproducts. http://www.selectproducts.com I don't know which one to get, the premium dark graphite seem like the closest match, but I am wondering if it might be too nice give the quality or our interior. Also if you look around the interiors of our trucks, we have 5 different shades of gray and in additon to the black seats/inserts.
 

mmp142965

say it like you spell it!
Re: Door panel winter project

dgoodhue said:
They really aren't salvagable. The plastic backing has tabs/(almost like rivets) molded into the backing that is melted to the door panel. The first set I drill to far and the drill catching the carpet hacked up the carpet, the second set I did a perfect job with, but you would need to remove the carpet and attach them some how.

For the purist, my original door panel have a few scratches in them, the carpet around the pockets was a little frayed, probably from cleaning. At some point and time I will pick up a mint set of door panels...

Thanks dave, maybe I can just salvage my current panels. seems like it will be just as much work:tup:
 

stlSY

Truck RamRod
Re: Door panel winter project

dgoodhue said:
I have known about selectproducts. http://www.selectproducts.com I don't know which one to get, the premium dark graphite seem like the closest match, but I am wondering if it might be too nice give the quality or our interior. Also if you look around the interiors of our trucks, we have 5 different shades of gray and in additon to the black seats/inserts.

Dave, I will check at home to see if I have anything that matches, I have a huge tote of leftover carpet, vinyl, suede, and tweed (a collection that dates from the 80's, I even have fuschia vinyl ;) ). If I have anything large enough that matches, pay the shipping and you are welcome to it. That goes for anyone in need of fuschia vinyl as well.....
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Door panel winter project

T-56 said:
I didn't think you would rice around sporting a lavender dashmat.:rotf:

BTW I just reread what you wrote :) The dashmat is a light gray. No lavender in my Sy.
 
Re: Door panel winter project

I forgot to ask but doesn't any have any good sources/matches for our carpeting?


I went to Joann Fabrics and just scowered to isles (and a few of the customers) till I found what I liked. Total cost on the fabric was like $15
 

Spinall4

New member
Re: Door panel winter project

Door pods look good and solid, but those are going to be a BITCH to carpet and make look right. The reason most door pods are a more rounded organic shape make out of bondo is that you can get vinyl that will strech and cover it all with no seams. If there are any seams on the front, given time they will start to come up.

also, if you're putting just normal door speakers in that small of an enclosure it may kill your mid bass response. You may have enough air, but its hard to tell how much space you actualy have. Have you listend to them yet?
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Door panel winter project

Spinall4 said:
Door pods look good and solid, but those are going to be a BITCH to carpet and make look right. The reason most door pods are a more rounded organic shape make out of bondo is that you can get vinyl that will strech and cover it all with no seams. If there are any seams on the front, given time they will start to come up.

I understand that but I don't want vinyl.

Spinall4 said:
also, if you're putting just normal door speakers in that small of an enclosure it may kill your mid bass response. You may have enough air, but its hard to tell how much space you actualy have. Have you listend to them yet?

The enclosure is .1 ft^3, I have been playing around with listen to them. I had already done some small portable enclosure to test the feasibility of this set up. I tried to do my homework as best as I could about midbass/enclosure sizing. Boston recomends atleast .1 sealed so that conveniently worked out (it just happened to be the right, my first design), but the recommend larger and ideally an infinite baffle. Currently I have it filled with polyfill and I have a 2" hole venting to the doors so call infinite baffle (even less of infinite baffle since I did no sealing). I am pleased with the midbass for 5 1/4 in speaker. The door panels aren't even solid mounted so that may help even more. (I don't want to waste my new door panel clips going back and forth)

The midbass was relatively non existant with the kick pods. I am not going for a SPL system just something with SQ (atleast to my ears). Its not going to win any contests, but I am very satisifed with the way it sounds currently, especially given my size constraints, weight watching, and permancy/reversibility of what I did. Ideally if I didn't mind cutting the cab I would mount the 5 1/4 in recessed kick panels and dynamat the door with dedicated 6 1/2 midbass drivers.
 
Top