Engine Oil Priming?

johnboy89

Member
I'm priming my motor for it first run and am having a heck of a time getting oil to the rockers. I'm using the GM priming tool with a 3/8' drill on the end and have rotated it while priming. I've ran it for a quite awhile and can't get any oil to the rockers (drill is starting to smoke!!). The gauge is going up about halfway so it's buiding PSI. I've read this can happen sometimes and once it runs it should be fine BUT?????

Thanx:)
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Engine Oil Priming?

If yur really worried install the dist and pull the plugs. Pull the ECM fuses so it won't flood, crank with the starter and watch your rockers. Bet you get oil now...
 

BMFB

Not to scale
Re: Engine Oil Priming?

I also have a question about this actually, but mine is more for the turbo, i was kinda worried about making sure that the turbo gets oil and such. So just priming the engine like i would do normally will take care of anything over on that end as well?
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Engine Oil Priming?

I also have a question about this actually, but mine is more for the turbo, i was kinda worried about making sure that the turbo gets oil and such. So just priming the engine like i would do normally will take care of anything over on that end as well?

Yes.
 

turbodig

Active member
Re: Engine Oil Priming?

I did this recently on mine, so it's fresh in my mind.

I used a MSD prime shaft, has the bushing to seal up the area where the dissy flanges are.

Anyway, it took a long time to get oil to the #2 rockers. Odd-side bank was pumping like crazy, as was the turbo supply line.
 

Icarus-54

Donating Old Member
Re: Engine Oil Priming?

I take an old distrubutor and remove the gear and the rotor,put it in and hit it with a 1/2" drill.Also works good for positioning the oil pump when installing the dist.
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Engine Oil Priming?

I also have the tool. You must seal the block passage just above the gear with either a tool, a modified dist, or my system with removing the plugs which uses your dist. Other wise you're just pumping oil back to the pan. No pre-lube.

As to the rockers. I believe (someone can shoot this down if I'm wrong) that if a lifter is up on a lobe and is collapsed because it doesn't have any oil yet no oil will flow through it to that rocker. That's why I like my system of removing the plugs and using the starter, naturally. It takes care of that issue.
 

cloneman315

Active member
Re: Engine Oil Priming?

Never dry turn over a new motor to prime it!!! Have someone help you and turn the motor over in 1/4 turn breaks
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Engine Oil Priming?

Never dry turn over a new motor to prime it!!! Have someone help you and turn the motor over in 1/4 turn breaks

Dry? No assembly lube? All I know is that I've used my system with no ill effects on more than a few motors over the years. Including a couple of big, but older diesels that had compression releases.
 
Top