GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

GEMELLI

The Best of Both Worlds
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

Wow...













That is a bright colored calculator!
 

jklein68

Donating Member
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

I must have missed something...Anyways the only ignition modules I have ever seen problems with are aftermarket. I think that a lot of people a quick to swap out the original as a troubleshooting step.

Jason
 

NJ93TY

Donating Member
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

My factory fuel pump on my GM daily driver only lasted 291K miles!
 

Syclone22

Member
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

You are very lucky i had to replace two
oem with Accel units so far they hold up ..
 
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

I must have missed something...Anyways the only ignition modules I have ever seen problems with are aftermarket. I think that a lot of people a quick to swap out the original as a troubleshooting step.

Jason

Normally, one of the first suggestions when looking at ignition problems is to check/replace the ignition module.
 

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

I totally agree eom is a wise choice when it comes to ignition modules
 

DaveP

Active member
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

Normally, one of the first suggestions when looking at ignition problems is to check/replace the ignition module. The OP's experience has been that the OEM module has never been the actual problem, and he reinforced this presumption by finding a 24 year old, 349K mile original module still functioning flawlessly.

Fixed it for you.
 

Captain Morgan

Moderated User
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

I own the same truck you are working on right now. 1989 Chevy C1500. I can't say the same for the reliability of that part on my truck. I just replaced my ICM this past summer after it crapped out on me leaving work, completely out of the blue. Thankfully I wasnt far and pushed it back to work. 119,000 miles, typical GM Junk :)
 

Throws

Active member
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

At least the ICM that GM used in it's gas vehicles is a marked improvement over the pump-mounted driver (PMD) used in the 6.2 and 6.5 diesels. GM (in their infinite wisdom) thought that cooling an electrical component using the injector pump was a great idea.... it was, at least while the cool diesel ran through the pump... turn it off, and the component cooked (since the PMD was now being used as a heat sink for the hot intake). Common sense on those it to relocate it behind the bumper and/or mounting it to a nice piece of aluminum.

But at least GM got it right with the ones common to our trucks. ;)

-P
 
Last edited:

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

Just one of those things. You can' think because your lasted so long everyone elses should. I've done at least three on Ty in the 9.7 years I've owned it. Perhaps getting the part at the dealer makes the difference? Wonder if GM makes it still.
 

Throws

Active member
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

Just one of those things. You can' think because your lasted so long everyone elses should. I've done at least three on Ty in the 9.7 years I've owned it. Perhaps getting the part at the dealer makes the difference? Wonder if GM makes it still.

eBay is a wonder for NOS parts. ;) Boost solenoids, knock sensors, etc.... still in old dealership packaging.

-P
 

Logan

Member
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

My opinion only so.....yeah anyway, but it seems to me that GM made really great products from 1986ish to about 1999ish, give or take a few years but especially the TBI 350 C/K series trucks. My first truck was a 91 GMC Sierra with 265,xxx miles on it and it ran beautifully. No smoke, no problems, nothing to speak of mechanically. Now GM's ability to paint a vehicle in the early 90s? Different story.

Back to the point though, I will agree with the OP and steal a line from my dad who has forgotten more hot rodding/car knowledge than I will ever have. "How are you gonna make a million dollar design any better with a $50 part that worked fine to start?"
 

Strykerblythe

Bowfishing King
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

Mine on my old 92 camaro went out at 100k miles it was OEM had to replace it but yet the one on my current truck is at 136k miles no issues
 

Davemc1963

93 Ty Owner
Re: GM Ignition Modules are unreliable?

I agree with Dave too, although I changed mine for the simple reason that I fitted an MSD distributor as the reluctor magnet cracked causing big problems. That took me quite a while to diagnose, but my first thoughts were that it was the module rather than the dissy. I will say though that I don't think the distributor is a particularly well made item though, adequate and functional maybe, but that isn't the point of Daves post. I would say though that like most electronic components 'cooling' of the module or in this case having a clean surface to mount to and proper heat transfer compound is key to long life. Little details that can make a big difference. Heat is the enemy here, like with most things on a syty.
By the way, happy New Year to you all.
 
Last edited:
Top