Painting the Typhoon grille

no_ty_yet

Member
Need some help, fellas...

I'm getting ready to take the Typhoon to the paint shop in a few weeks. It's got a new black grille, and here's the question:

The grille should be painted black, right? (not just left in it's natural black state?)

Question number two: If it is supposed to be painted like I'm thinking, then does anyone know the proper prep procedure? I presume I should probably use something like DuPont "Plas-Stick" cleaner to remove the release agent, and possibly scuff with a scotch-brite? Do I need to use an adhesion promoter also?

TIA
 

93ty475

Donating Member
i did the one on my ty with basecoat/clearcoat and didn't use any special stuff...i used oil and grease remover then scuffed it up like you said and it stuck pretty good...i'm not recommending the way i did it, but it worked...i own a 4000psi pressure washer and it hasn't peeled when i blast it ...i would call a few paint suppiers and get a some professional opinions...alot of those guys attend seminars for the products they represent ...you really should paint it though because your grill is probably a dull black...HTH
 

turbodog

Donating Member
i used a plastic adhesion promoter, and put 150,000 miles on my S-blazer grille and flares and had no rock chips. You can buy it at most chain auto stores. My paint guy recommended it, and he seemed to know his stuff.

I scuffed the surface (400 wet sand), sprayed, sanded, then sprayed the final coat within 30 min of 1st color coat.

My truck's PO just clear coated the grille (a replacement) and it looks like crap.
 

Loeryder

New member
They were painted except for the 92 they left the headlight "buckets" unpainted.

And I agree on using a plastic "Adhesion promoter".

Any reputable paint supply shop will know exactly what you are talking about.
 

no_ty_yet

Member
OK, it sounds like I should be in good shape. I've already got DuPont's "Plas-Stick" cleaner and adhesion promoter left over from another job. It sounds like they ought to do the trick for this one, too.

Thanks
 

MyTyphoon1993

Active member
Loeryder said:
They were painted except for the 92 they left the headlight "buckets" unpainted.

And I agree on using a plastic "Adhesion promoter".

Any reputable paint supply shop will know exactly what you are talking about.
You sure they were all painted, cause my grill was flat black, not painted.
 

turbodog

Donating Member
Well, I've never had a real close look at any Blk/Blk Ty except my own, and I'm sure the grille and front bumper on it were replaced after a minor hit. Both are clear-coated over the raw plastic. Every other color Ty front grille was painted (obviously). It stands to reason that the Black Tys were as well. Guess we need an original owner to weigh in on this one.
 
Top