Sy/Ty Transfer Case will it be strong enough

willybobba

New member
hi, I am friends with doomdead and he said I might beable to get some answers in here. I am building a 89 blazer with a blown 350. the blazer as it stands right now is 4wd. I have been told I can take a Transfer Case from a bravada/sy/ty/safari/astro and bolt it straight on with minor modifications. what I am unsure of is the strength of this Transfer Case. Everywhere else I have turned nobody is sure. people say the chain will probobly stretch and you really have to be careful of the viscous gearing. can anybody give me a straight answer and or give me other ideas on how to make this blazer AWD. also can this Transfer Case bolt up to a turbo 400 Tranny and work correctly. Goal HP 700-1000 and still drive on the streets.
 

AXXE

Member
Ed Hess bolted a TH400 to the stock transfercase. I think you have to change the rear section of the trans.
 

willybobba

New member
I know the th400 I put in my nova was set up to be hooked up to a transfercase with the bolt down the middle of the shaft. does anybody know how well the 700r4 transmission would hold up to 800+ hp and torque?
 

Crazy J

New member
a 700r4 would have trouble holding up to that in 2wd, throw AWD in the mix and it's impossible. your best bet is to go with a th400, it can hold the power for less money (even after adding in the cost of setting it up for borg warner AWD t-case).
 
Top