Tranny controllers and added Benefit (meth control?)

JSM

Active member
I am finally getting to the final stages of my typhoon build.

One of the major components is the tranny. Just a recap for those that don't know.

Prime Gears 4l80e with Transbrake, billet input, Yank convertor, not sure what other Magic George was able to do with it. I do thank him for the hard work though.

I have debated on how to control it.

GM ECM: Did this on Jeremy's and Daron's. Both trucks are working well. GM shift points are actually not all the far off. Best to control the TCC with syty ecm though.

TCI: Hardman's ty has this. It is working well also. Does what it is told to, I had the base cal done in about a 2 hours starting from scratch. We tried TCC lockup with it or syty ecm. Syty ecm seems to do better job here for his truck. Can't really complain on it though.

PCS (www.transmissioncontroller.com): This is the most expensive option. I have heard though TCI is going to put their sticker on it soon. I did this controller in Paul's ty. We had a bit of a learning curve to get the calibration to load, might have been laptop issues but once the base cal loaded (you build it from wizard) we were able to drive truck and to be honest the base cal was fairly close. Once working I only made a few minor adjustments. I really liked the controller, wiring. Software is more complex than TCI but not bad to figure out.

I made decision on my truck to go PCS. After downloading software, reading manual I found out some very neat things that can be done.

The PCS is much more universal controller than TCI. Due to that several extra input/outputs are not used for the 4l80e, BUT the software lets you configure these inputs/outputs to several options.

Reading on their forum they mentioned being able to use one output as a safety for the transbrake. You set one of the outputs to be based on gear so the transbrake (or linelock) will only be able to be activated in 1st gear. SWEET.

Got to looking further. There are some pulse width modulated outputs. HMMM, if I make one to be -vs- MAP, I now have a PW output to control a simple circuit making a programable meth injection. Set the PW to turn on when boost is at 110kpa, ramp up as boost builds. HMMMMM

Then I got to thinking further, there is another spare output. What if I select that output to be based on TPS. I can now control my weldon fuel pump (with same simple circuit thanks to dig) to control the speed of the pump. So now at idle the pump isn't going full speed, heating up the fuel and making a lot of noise.

So PCS is about $200 more than TCI, but if my idea above works I saved $200 on alky controller (which we are working on similar output on code59 also), and $300 on fuel pump controller.

With the GP George is doing on the 80e kits, 1 more benefit (although not proven yet) if you go this route and an advantage of the tranny controller.

Speedo Drive: Also it has an extra output for speedo drive you can configure to whatever pulses per mile you need. So now instead of running a modded drac for my 150mph speedo, I can output the correct signal to my dash.
 
Last edited:

sytyguy

Moderated User
Re: Tranny controllers and added Benefit (meth control?)

VERY nice stuff. I'll definitely be leaning towards PCS when I go 80E.

Hood
 

JSM

Active member
Re: Tranny controllers and added Benefit (meth control?)

And another feature, actually the one that got me thinking about this and off in left field.

You can control a tranny cooler fan -vs- tranny temp.

Depending on which outputs your using you might not be able to do ALL of these at once, but several for sure.
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: Tranny controllers and added Benefit (meth control?)

Just remember the manual control lever must be in the "DRIVE" position for it to work. "OD" disables the trans brake. You are probably talking about "commanded" gear but I just wanted to be sure.
The way the transbrake valvebody is configured, there is a simple pressure switch that the 12 volt supply runs through. Third gear "passage" feeds the switch. This switch feeds a shifter solenoid. As long as you have 12volt feeding the wire and the switch is closed with fluid pressure, reverse is enabled and the band binds up the planetary into "reverse". So forward and reverse fight it out until you let go of the button.
I personally like line locks better than binding up gears in a trans but to each his own.:tup:
 

JSM

Active member
Re: Tranny controllers and added Benefit (meth control?)

Didn't know about the D -vs- OD but yes I was talking about commanded gear. Prevent accidental hitting of button while driving. I think I can do it based on VSS also, so it will only let you do it at 0mph also.

I have twin linelocks to be installed also which I agree is better mechanically.
 

turbodig

Active member
Re: Tranny controllers and added Benefit (meth control?)

JS Manufacturing said:
Didn't know about the D -vs- OD but yes I was talking about commanded gear. Prevent accidental hitting of button while driving. I think I can do it based on VSS also, so it will only let you do it at 0mph also.

I have twin linelocks to be installed also which I agree is better mechanically.

Not to mention, preloads the whole drivetrain. This is a con if you have a 4-link or a suspension that needs the reaction to work. Otherwise, it's much easier on parts.
 

JSM

Active member
Re: Tranny controllers and added Benefit (meth control?)

compushift is over priced for what it does IMO. It is nice because you can program it without a laptop so it is really tailored toward street rod guy that doesn't know computers and doesn't want a laptop to tune and has some extra cash.
 
Top