Door panel winter project

Windedv6

Ty n 10s
Re: Door panel winter project

CKEITH said:
john i am assuming these are custom.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-3/18225/ImageDnyamicsMidbaseDoorsedit.jpg

can i get these made? if so buy who?
thnx chris

I owned a car audio store in Chicago some years ago and my lead installer did them. He is now doing home audio and doesn't do car audio anymore. I currently have them out of my truck and stored away. I can take some better pics and maybe help you get an idea about making them your self.

John
 

Windedv6

Ty n 10s
Re: Door panel winter project

dgoodhue said:
I would like to do PG Cyclone at somepoint in time into a Typhoon, but I won't be doing any blow through in my Sy.

I will have to find some pics of my Ty with the PG Cyclone in it. I competed a couple of years with it in, but always had some points deducted because you could faintly hear an air flutter off of the paddles. I did get high marks though for being able to reproduce super low bass notes that was not possible to repoduce with most other subs. It had the depth of an 18" woofer and the speed of a 10". I still have one in a box. A 3 cubic box is what it takes. You do need about 13" clearance in the box for depth which makes it hard to put in most places.

I was a beta tester for PG "back in the day" and went through about eight of them before they actually started marketing them. I also tested some of their amps and subs as well as PPI amps. It was cool being a beta tester as they would give you a set of instructions for different tests. When all of the other test were done the last one was always to burn it up. Either by cutting fan wires on the amps or covering them with plastic wrap and run them until they quit. On the subs when we finished the main tests we were give a disc to send square waves (clip) until they basicly melted the coils.

That was "back in the day when SQ was king and the old companies made the good stuff. I still run my Canton and Dynaudio speakers and my Pioneer ODR digital system. Any one want some compression driver horn setups? I think I have three sets left. A couple of Image Dynamics Comps and a set of Altecs.

I wish that SQ was popular again as I would porbably get back into it. I never was an SPL guy.

John
 

stlSY

Truck RamRod
Re: Door panel winter project

Windedv6 said:
I will have to find some pics of my Ty with the PG Cyclone in it. I competed a couple of years with it in, but always had some points deducted because you could faintly hear an air flutter off of the paddles. I did get high marks though for being able to reproduce super low bass notes that was not possible to repoduce with most other subs. It had the depth of an 18" woofer and the speed of a 10". I still have one in a box. A 3 cubic box is what it takes.

That was "back in the day when SQ was king and the old companies made the good stuff. I still run my Canton and Dynaudio speakers and my Pioneer ODR digital system. Any one want some compression driver horn setups? I think I have three sets left. A couple of Image Dynamics Comps and a set of Altecs.

I wish that SQ was popular again as I would porbably get back into it. I never was an SPL guy.

John

I had a friend with a PG Cyclone, I remember listening to it with the IASCA intro track (space shuttle launch). Amazing, it played soooo low.

I miss the days of SQ competitions as well. I still have some of my Orion gear from back in the day. Fond memories of competing. Finishing the car at the last minute, completely detailing the car, spending 10 hours each way making the trip to and from the place in the cramped car making sure not to crush a kick panel or blow anything up, detailing the car again, standing on a hot asphalt parking lot for 12 hours in August gettting a great sunburn waiting for the results......
 

Windedv6

Ty n 10s
Re: Door panel winter project

stlSY said:
I had a friend with a PG Cyclone, I remember listening to it with the IASCA intro track (space shuttle launch). Amazing, it played soooo low.

I miss the days of SQ competitions as well. I still have some of my Orion gear from back in the day. Fond memories of competing. Finishing the car at the last minute, completely detailing the car, spending 10 hours each way making the trip to and from the place in the cramped car making sure not to crush a kick panel or blow anything up, detailing the car again, standing on a hot asphalt parking lot for 12 hours in August gettting a great sunburn waiting for the results......

You forgot...getting the results at 10:00 pm on Sunday and dealing with the all the complaints about unfair and bias judges...and then you had to drive all night to get back home...downing a dozen Mountain Dews which gave you the shakes for two days.

warmpancakes said:
John Im interested in the HLCD
I have full size or the mini horns. I used both styles under our dash. I have some install pics in my show book...could scan them...quality of pics may not so good. I currently have a full size set custom built into the glove tray in my Ty . I did that and the center channel at the same time. Trust me...you don't want to go there unless you have a new dash in a box put away for later.. I will get some pics to you.

John
 

warmpancakes

New member
Re: Door panel winter project

I have a spare dash but im not affraid to cut anything its just a truck IM still trying to figure out where to put a sub I have a roll down rear in a sy and no room
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Door panel winter project

warmpancakes said:
I have a spare dash but im not affraid to cut anything its just a truck IM still trying to figure out where to put a sub I have a roll down rear in a sy and no room

Have you thought about putting some 8's in the doors?
 

warmpancakes

New member
Re: Door panel winter project

I have a set of Marlboro door panels on the way so that should help solve some of the problems
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Door panel winter project

warmpancakes said:
I have a set of Marlboro door panels on the way so that should help solve some of the problems

Did they make extra's sets of those door panels? or is this like the rear window where their is couple around. What did they use for speaker sizes?
 

JSM

Active member
Re: Door panel winter project

Q-Form I believe made those panels. They came blank so you could cut to whatever size you wanted.

Basically vacuum formed plastic, nothing real special. Most high end installs would reinforce them or mold them for rigidity.
 

ryanharrington

New member
Re: Door panel winter project

good luck getting a 6.5 in the q forms they are meant for a max of 6 1/8 these days im fighting a set of them right now for my ty. bottom mounting is the only option for 6.5s trying to put a set of thunder ax components in. might just hit the q forms with a hammer and try my first glass project. almost need to use as much glass on the q forms to get them solid put a set in my bronco2 that you can top mount 6.5s with the stock grills but they stick out way to damn far and have absolutely no mid response. gonna see about sealing them form behind. to make you guys mostalgic i still have my colossus series 7 from 1995, and a pg m50
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Door panel winter project

dgoodhue said:
I am looking for Phoenix Gold TI500.4AL and TI400.2AL amps. I have same amps, they just have different names (ZX475ti, ZX400ti)

A couple of weeks ago, I found one of the aluminum amps I was looking, TI500.4AL. To my surprise, It weight 5.5#'s less than the regular steel amps. Between the two amps I should be able save 10#'s.
AL_comparison.jpg


ti500_Install.jpg


I still haven't gotten any carpet yet. I found an almost exact match but supplier has taken over a month :roll:
 

James Thomas

"NO CLASS"
Re: Door panel winter project

dgoodhue said:
A couple of weeks ago, I found one of the aluminum amps I was looking, TI500.4AL. To my surprise, It weight 5.5#'s less than the regular steel amps. Between the two amps I should be able save 10#'s.
AL_comparison.jpg


ti500_Install.jpg


I still haven't gotten any carpet yet. I found an almost exact match but supplier has taken over a month :roll:


Who is the carpet supplier supplier? I need carpet for my Ty, maybe we can double team him with two orders that may make it worth it for them to go ahead and order it.
________________
James Thomas
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Door panel winter project

James Thomas said:
Who is the carpet supplier supplier? I need carpet for my Ty, maybe we can double team him with two orders that may make it worth it for them to go ahead and order it.
________________
James Thomas

I still haven't gotten anything yet :roll: I talked ot the shop last week and they said the middle of July. Atleast, I have other project taking up my time...
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Door panel winter project

To update an old thread. The old picture are missing, but this one of them from that time period. As of yesterday, my door panels looked exactly unchanged except they were sitting in the back corner of my garage collecting dust.

pass_z5_inc.jpg


I wasn't happy and changed my mind. Last spring, I made some fiberglass pods (I was inspired by the Marlboro Door panels but I wanted something smaller), I became discouraged when the Vinyl didn't work out stretch properly, so it sat till this yesterday. I was going to do something different, but at this point its nowhere near my top priority, so I just carpeted what I had last night, so I can have an interior with door panel and no bare MDF.

PassDoorPanel.jpg


DriverDoorPanel.jpg


I made some mistakes, the MDF backing is too large, I didn't leave enough clearance to tuck the carpet into the vent or the edge of the door panel, but it's servicable enough. I don't have enough carpet to do it again either. I will probably change the speaker pod again, maybe I will get a shallower speaker to reduce the depth.
 

autoaddictions

Active member
Re: Door panel winter project

Why not use fiberglass. I know its a truck from the early 90s but wood door panels are heavy, harder to build and hard to contour. We used to put like 4 pieces of mdf together then belt sand them down to shape. Messy jod. Fiber glass is the way to go now. Lots of information on how to do it online as well. I do admire your ambition.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Door panel winter project

autoaddictions said:
Why not use fiberglass. I know its a truck from the early 90s but wood door panels are heavy, harder to build and hard to contour. We used to put like 4 pieces of mdf together then belt sand them down to shape. Messy jod. Fiber glass is the way to go now. Lots of information on how to do it online as well. I do admire your ambition.

The new pod is fiberglass & bondo, the speaker mounting surface is birch plywood (half the weight of MDF) with a lower mounting ring. The door panel insert is 1/4" MDF (was going to remake that in Birch Plywood as well). I was thinking about painting the pod, but it needed more bondo/sanding. This was a simple solution to something I had laying around in pieces.
 
Top