Hydroboost pedal effort

Poconojoe

Donating Member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

Matt:
I think you want a slight "up" angle on the M/C so air gets expelled into the discharge ports that are at the front of the bores during bleeding operations. As a work-around, perhaps jack the front of the truck up during bleeding?

Nice write-up. Thanks for conducting the research. I suspected that pedal ratio could be the issue when Don first began this thread. I will be interested to hear of your results when it's all up and running.
Regards.

Dave I'm not sure if this upward angle would be required but it couldn't hurt. Did you ever notice how steeply downward the 96 and newer Astro van master cylinders point
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

Is this going to require a custom/adjustable rod or will this work with a stock rod? Everything you've done looks great. Keep up the good work. :tup:


Unfortunately I think a custom rod will still be necessary. The stock rod on the hydroboost unit is just too short and there is no way to move the hydroboost unit closer to the brake lever to make up for that. Take a look at this pic for reference:

Hydroboost%20vs%20stock%20booster%202.jpg


Matt:
I think you want a slight "up" angle on the M/C so air gets expelled into the discharge ports that are at the front of the bores during bleeding operations. As a work-around, perhaps jack the front of the truck up during bleeding?

Nice write-up. Thanks for conducting the research. I suspected that pedal ratio could be the issue when Don first began this thread. I will be interested to hear of your results when it's all up and running.
Regards.

Thanks for the feedback. I also think that the pedal ratio issue is the reason that this thread was started..

So I pulled the plate back out and figured out what I would need wedge-wise to weld in to the gap created by the angle.

37_Posterboard%20mock%20up.JPG


I got that CADed up and cut and tacked into place..

42_Wedge%20tacked%20in%20place.JPG


Then fully welded..

43_Wedge%20welded%20in%20place.JPG


Then reinstalled for one final test fit..

46_Plate%20Installed.JPG


I've got it pulled back out now. It fit well. The next step is to make another one so that I can keep this one as a master then powdercoat both..
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

This is cool. I have some mods planned for this winter, smaller dia MC first. Depending on those results this might be next. My push rod IS to long by a little less than an inch, I'm planning on an adjustable rod to take care of that. (Had to put the stop light sw in backwards to compensate, but it worked...)I have an idea but looking forward to how this one is done. Just don't want to fool with my setup until racing is over with.

Mine is stock angle. No air issues but I used a vacuum bleeder which worked like a champ. Pedal bleeding not so hot IMHO.
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

Interesting theory. What I find very strange is that some people can't hold boost. Mine and a few others I know had 0 issues with that. I love mine, it stops on a dime, was easy to install and feels great. I always dismissed the stiff feel as the the lack of weight vs the Astro. Not sure what the weight difference is but I imagine it has to be at least 1000lbs? Anyway, very curious to see what you come up with.
 

1BADV6

Donating Member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

Unfortunately I think a custom rod will still be necessary. The stock rod on the hydroboost unit is just too short and there is no way to move the hydroboost unit closer to the brake lever to make up for that. Take a look at this pic for reference:

Hydroboost%20vs%20stock%20booster%202.jpg




Thanks for the feedback. I also think that the pedal ratio issue is the reason that this thread was started..

So I pulled the plate back out and figured out what I would need wedge-wise to weld in to the gap created by the angle.

37_Posterboard%20mock%20up.JPG


I got that CADed up and cut and tacked into place..

42_Wedge%20tacked%20in%20place.JPG


Then fully welded..

43_Wedge%20welded%20in%20place.JPG


Then reinstalled for one final test fit..

46_Plate%20Installed.JPG


I've got it pulled back out now. It fit well. The next step is to make another one so that I can keep this one as a master then powdercoat both..

Matt,

Would you be interested in making two more while you are at it ??? :)

thanks,
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

Matt,

Would you be interested in making two more while you are at it ??? :)

thanks,


Your actually not the first person to ask.. Thats why I took some time to:
- clean up the CAD
- make a fixture to bend the edges up on the plate
- make a jig to set the bend angle the hydroboost unit mounts at


I'll probably see if we have enough interest to do an initial group purchase once I get this all installed and working. I also need to figure out it people want:
- just the plate
- the plate and hardware to install a new stud on the brake pedal
- etc.. I though about maybe offering pedal exchange where I send you one with the new stud already installed and you send my back your stocker..


Fixture to set angle:
51_Jig%20to%20set%20proper%20angle.JPG


52_3%20Plates.JPG


54_3%20Plates.JPG


55_Wedge%20in%20plate.JPG


56_Wedge%20in%20plate.JPG


58_Tools%20to%20make%20plates.JPG
 

1BADV6

Donating Member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

Matt,

I'm good with how ever you decide to do it. Keep me posted.

thanks,
Dave
 

BoostedSUV

Active member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

I'd be in for one too Matt if testing shows this is an improvement. I'm not happy with my HB and disc/disc conversion. The truck stops awesome but when it comes to building boost against the brakes the rears break loose or push after 3-4lbs. :tdown:
 

Icarus-54

Donating Old Member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

Definately interested Matt.I'm getting too old to push that hard.
Jack
 

1BADV6

Donating Member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

Matt,

I'm good with how ever you decide to do it. Keep me posted.

thanks,
Dave

Matt,

I would even take two plates in pieces, just bend the angle and we can weld and powder coat them here.

thanks,
Dave
 

blacktyaffair

Donating Member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

You can't make anything nice around here without people wanting it too!!! Matt, they have no shame. ;)
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

I got the truck inspected this morning and drove it around quite a bit today. I haven't tried a boost launch(afraid to blow it up again). The brakes feel much better though. They feel much more normal now. Much less effort is required to stop the truck and there is more travel when you push the pedal(still not as much as stock). If I were to do it again I'd probably place the stud up even a little higher on the lever for even more mechanical advantage.. I like really easy to operate brakes..

As far as the plates go.. I just bought some new consumables for the plasma cutter so I can make some pretty nice cuts now.. I'll price up some 1/8" steel and post a price sometime in the next couple of weeks..
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

I finally mustered the the courage to do a boosted launch.. The brakes held 5 psi with no issue at all. I do think that traction is going to be an issue for me though..

In the screenshot here you can see that I've got 5lbs of boost built and I am going 0 MPH(no wheel spin)..

5lb%20Launch.JPG
 

cheatham2492

New member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

I actually installed my HB Unit the other way with the reservoir towards the driver side fender and the hoses going down.It has a C5 Master Cyl on it. It dose not stop as sudden or grabby as my old astro van but it works great.I think I hold 15 psi.Then all hell brakes loose. I might see more benefit from at prop valve. I like the pedal reconfigure could add alot to it. Good work. Good topic. No more sliding through stop signs in to peoples lawns....:p
Cheats
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

I never did make a kit.. Its been a busy summer. If anyone is interested I can do he following:

Bare unwelded mild steel 1/8" plate - $20
Welded mild steel 1/8" plate - $30

These will be CNC plasma cut. The edges will have a little kerf as that is the nature of plasma cutting.

If you want one welded it will be mig welded..

Add $9 per plate for shipping.

PM me if interested..


-Matt
 
Last edited:

1BADV6

Donating Member
Re: Hydroboost pedal effort

Matt,

Send me your Paypal info, I would like two sets of the unwelded parts.

thanks
Dave
 
Top