plug question

Neelsonwheels

Donating Member
I am running BR7EF plugs in my Typhoo and the truck sometimes has a slight miss under steady throttle. I have the gap set at .026 and was wondering if I should open them up a little? Say to .030. Any input would be appreciated.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: plug question

I am running BR7EF plugs in my Typhoo and the truck sometimes has a slight miss under steady throttle. I have the gap set at .026 and was wondering if I should open them up a little? Say to .030. Any input would be appreciated.
I battled a stutter at WOT in my truck for a long time using the same plugs. I switched to a heat range 6 plug and the stuttering has not been back. First, I switched to BR6EF plugs, then to TR6's, that I run now. My gap is about 26-28.
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: plug question

I am running BR7EF plugs in my Typhoo and the truck sometimes has a slight miss under steady throttle. I have the gap set at .026 and was wondering if I should open them up a little? Say to .030. Any input would be appreciated.

:2cents: That plug is not a projected nose plug. You might try some of those AND a wider gap. .030 would be good.:2cents:
 

Neelsonwheels

Donating Member
Re: plug question

Thanks Guys.
I am going to throw in a set of BR7EF's with a .030 gap and see what happens.
If that doesn't help I will go back to the TR6's that I used to run at .027.
I'll keep you posted on the outcome. I just hope I can keep the intake to throttle body
silicone hose from blowing off. I can't even get on boost without it popping. I have ordered
a new 4" to 3" transition hose and clamps. fingers crossed.
 

Neelsonwheels

Donating Member
Re: plug question

Well I regapped the plugs BR7EF to 0.030. Drove in to work.
The truck runs better. The miss isn't entirely gone but it is much better.
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: plug question

Good. IMHO I still think some projected nose plugs will help. How old are the wires? My current soapbox is that if your truck ain't running right new plug wires will fix it.:rotf::rotf:
 

Neelsonwheels

Donating Member
Re: plug question

Wires, ignition,distributor cap,rotor,module,are all new. I am with you Don.
I think the tune is a little fat on start up as I get soot and I have to work the throttle a little to get some air in at start. I have TR6's. I just wanted to try something with the BR7's.
Thanks.
 

heavy breather

FBI enforcer
Re: plug question

Just talked to ngk about this and have been looking into these plugs myself. What it boils down to is the plug will not self clean until 450°. Take out some fuel to warm the plugs at low load/rpm and add a couple degrees timing in those areas as well. That should be enough to make the plugs happy, under boost they'll take care of themselves
 

Davemc1963

93 Ty Owner
Re: plug question

Aren't 7's a bit cold for normal use? I thought the 'standard' heat range equivalent to the AC44's was 5-6. Being a non projected nose will probably exagerate any driveability issues . High boost and racing, I think you are good, but possibly not pottering around on the street.
 

heavy breather

FBI enforcer
Re: plug question

6 heat range is recommended to @15 psi. I've run 5's 55's and 6's. I'm putting the br7's in tonight and going to tinker with the tune to see. Yes, the 7 is cold, but I think the safety of the electrode design is too beneficial not to give them a shot, especially when I only know one truck intentionally running less than 15psi.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: plug question

Looks like i can't putter around town then. Balls to the walls all the time it is!! LOL

I had a pretty long talk with Gerber about plugs a while ago. The 7 heat range is probably safer for high boost, giving it hell. When I installed a new set of BR7EF's the truck would run good for a little while, but after a little while of just normal driving, my sputtering would come back at WOT. A hotter plug is better for puttering around and normal/sometimes give it the beans driving with a stock motor (5), but I settled on a compromise of 6 heat range. It seems to work good for me. I have no more stuttering under WOT after normal driving and then giving it the beans (20psi, meth and 22 degrees advance). I did not know about the self cleaning at 450, but that would explain a lot.
 

atkonkler

Is this your bush?
Re: plug question

I talked with an ngk guy and he talked to me about how alot of the plugs will self clean/burn off deposits. I thought that was pretty interesting....never knew that until he told me. Now when people bring in spark plugs and they are super crusty I look at the heat range and compare to the stock heat range. I help them get the correct heat range plug for their application and off they go.:tup:
 

Damian

Member
Re: plug question

I have to say that this is one of the best spark plug threads that Ive read on this forum. Very nice guys!
 

atkonkler

Is this your bush?
Re: plug question

I have a set of ur5ix/7177 iridium that I'm going to put into my stock LB4 heads just to see what they can do over stock ur5. I'll keep you posted when I do it.:tup:
 

Davemc1963

93 Ty Owner
Re: plug question

I looked into NGK racing plugs a while back and remember looking at the on line images. The NGK Racing Projected nose plug (NGK R5674-6 ) extends about half what a 'normal' projected nose plug does. I have no experience of how these would perform on our trucks though, but I do remember guys using them on bikes in the 70's and early 80's before I moved on to four wheel transport. If you google the part number, there is plenty of info out there on them. Possibly a good compromise?
 

Neelsonwheels

Donating Member
Re: plug question

Holly cow!!
Lots of good info in this post! I think I should go back to the TR6's.
I don't throttle the hell out of the truck to often. It does run better with the bigger gap but after normal driving I think I am fouling or gunking up the plugs. I will throw the TR6's in tonight and go out tomorrow and post results. Thanks again.
 

syclone3

Member
Re: plug question

I still remember what Jim Stokes told me about spark plugs back in 93. From when he worked at PAS and later was doing engines from his house for Sy-Ty.
 
Top