Turbo Size

beast171

New member
Who can help me determine what size of Turbo I need, or what, where or how can I find this out? Any help appreciated please and thank you. I was thinking of going with one of the RPM turbo units maybe the stage 3. Don't know, I have a vortec head swap, big Inconel valves, port and polish, roller rocker arms, crower cam matched to heads, stock exhaust manifolds no headers, stock throttle body. going to upgrade injectors to 60 lbs or 70 lbs don't know yet. Need adjustable FPR also torque converter was thinking 2600-280. Also will tune computer.
Thank you in advanced
 

atkonkler

Is this your bush?
Re: Turbo Size

Need to have the correct intake for this to all work also ....just an fyi.:2cents:
 

beast171

New member
Re: Turbo Size

The local track is 1/8 of a mile. Id like to be in the low 7s maybe even high 6s.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Turbo Size

The local track is 1/8 of a mile. Id like to be in the low 7s maybe even high 6s.

I would pick a turbo around the size of PTE6768 for those goals. If you have the stock short block, it probably won't hold up to the hp levels needed. Same goes the stock transmission.
 

Z SKI

Donating Member
Re: Turbo Size

I would vote for the PTE Gen 2 6266 or Gen 2 6466... Both turbos are ceramic dual ball bearing units and both will make enough power to split the block in half..

Both of these turbos should be pretty much insta-boost with that stall... What are your head and cam specs?? Race gas, pump gas, alky???
 
Last edited:

beast171

New member
Re: Turbo Size

Thank you all for your help. Greatly appreciate it. I forgot to mention its a stock bottom end. Crank is stock as well as the connecting rods.
 

nastety92

New member
Re: Turbo Size

Thank you all for your help. Greatly appreciate it. I forgot to mention its a stock bottom end. Crank is stock as well as the connecting rods.

To me the deciding factor is if the motor is going to stay stock or are you planning on doing a build motor? Same with the trans, are you trying to stay with the stock transmission or do a build transmission. The torque converter is probably the last thing you want to purchase because that needs to be setup with the rest of your combo.

I think if your looking for those type of goals, high 6's low 7's in the 1/8th you will be needing a built motor, built trans, bigger turbo, different intercooler and probably a different computer to program it all.

Good luck,
Nick
 

Damian

Member
Re: Turbo Size

Thank you all for your help. Greatly appreciate it. I forgot to mention its a stock bottom end. Crank is stock as well as the connecting rods.

My turbo guy is building a stock turbo with a 60-1 compressor housing. He is also porting out the exhaust housing and wastegate port. If you're interested, just pm me.
 

Z SKI

Donating Member
Re: Turbo Size

My turbo guy is building a stock turbo with a 60-1 compressor housing. He is also porting out the exhaust housing and wastegate port. If you're interested, just pm me.

Do tell more about this... I still need your dude to rebuild that GN turbo that I have...
 

Damian

Member
Re: Turbo Size

Do tell more about this... I still need your dude to rebuild that GN turbo that I have...

He sent this to me a week ago:


Let me know when you want him to do it. I have 2 GN turbos out in my garage that I'm tearing down for him, along with some big a$$ Detroit 18 wheeler turbos. He is coming over this weekend as a matter of fact.
 

Z SKI

Donating Member
Re: Turbo Size

He sent this to me a week ago:


Let me know when you want him to do it. I have 2 GN turbos out in my garage that I'm tearing down for him, along with some big a$$ Detroit 18 wheeler turbos. He is coming over this weekend as a matter of fact.

Oooooh.... That's petty... Still 8cm on the hot side??
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Turbo Size

I would buy a 10 or 12cm2 exhaust housing. Are you using a bigger exhaust turbine wheel? (ie td06h)
 
Top