Body rooooooollllllllll

MRKING

New Parts for Old Trucks
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

First impression from that picture is that Wile E Coyote is standing off to the right hand side off-camera. :tup:

Luckily my keyboard is on the slide-out shelf under the glass desk top . Otherwise i would have been cleaning coke out of all the keys .:rotf: Fukcing hilarious .
 

MRKING

New Parts for Old Trucks
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

Plus one on the Addco rear sway . Adam I see you mentioned something about the front sway/pics in another thread , is there a new product coming out sometime soon ? I still need a front sway and would be down for one if that's what you were getting at .
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

Plus one on the Addco rear sway . Adam I see you mentioned something about the front sway/pics in another thread , is there a new product coming out sometime soon ? I still need a front sway and would be down for one if that's what you were getting at .

Yeah, talked with Addco about fabbing up a front bar to compete with Belltech. They asked for pics, so hopefully they are looking seriously at potentially doing it.
 

GAShan

Donating Member
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

ADDCO fabbed the rear bar up on my Sy. I have a production one on the truck and the prototype stashed somewhere. At the time they didn't want to do a front bar, something about production issues with the taper to fit the a-arms at the ends of the bar. That was 10+ years ago so maybe their production facility has new capability now.

For those who like trivia the starting point for the Syclone sway bar was a tri-five Chevy bar. The width was dead on, it just needed a few degrees of tweak to the bends and the right length end links. They had all of their bars on file cards and would just manually load the dimensions onto a huge automated bender. No computers or stuff at the time. Bar stock came to them in huge lengths and the first stop was cutting to production length. Once they were bent they would go for a heat treat to relieve the stresses of bending, then to paint.

I love the Bell-Tech front ADDCO rear combo on both of my trucks. Tremendous difference.
 

rentedmule

wanna-be
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

7037846283_ee29e1214a_z.jpg

The coilovers, arms and swaybars will stiffen things up a lot but they won't change your geometry or level of grip. The stock spindle height and control arm attachments cause camber gain in bump which you can see in this pic. If you get taller balljoints it adds to the spindle height and changes the geometry so that you get some negative camber gain in bump. It also raises the roll center and reduces body roll significantly. It makes an incredible difference in front end grip and tire life.
 

DanenGraham

Big in the rear
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

The coilovers, arms and swaybars will stiffen things up a lot but they won't change your geometry or level of grip. The stock spindle height and control arm attachments cause camber gain in bump which you can see in this pic. If you get taller balljoints it adds to the spindle height and changes the geometry so that you get some negative camber gain in bump. It also raises the roll center and reduces body roll significantly. It makes an incredible difference in front end grip and tire life.


I remember reading a thread about getting the longer balljoints, do you know any part numbers for this??? And in that thread, it was even talked about that you would just use them on the bottom ball joint, and not the top... Could be way off here. If you have anymore info post it/link it please!

I will try and find that thread.
 

rentedmule

wanna-be
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

I don't know if they're available for the 4wd chassis but Howe, afco, proforged, QA1 and a few others sell them. A tall lower BJ gets rid of most of the bump steer inherent in the 2wd chassis but I found the tall uppers made a more instantly noticeable difference for me. I really don't know how much of this translates to the 4wds but there are a few guys on protourings10 that may.
 

DanenGraham

Big in the rear
So you have the taller/longer ball joints in both the upper and lower, or just the upper? And you have a 2wd?

And thanks for the website, will have to look it over.
 

rentedmule

wanna-be
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

I have both uppers and lowers now but I ran with just the uppers for a while. It is a 2wd
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

May have to look into the tall BJ option.

I was running 44psi on the fronts and 34psi in the rears. Tire rollover didnt go past the outer tread block on the fronts and it was definitely pushing a lot less than last month, but still pushing in the fast corners.
 

TNPhoon

1of28
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

Luckily my keyboard is on the slide-out shelf under the glass desk top . Otherwise i would have been cleaning coke out of all the keys .:rotf: Fukcing hilarious .

Man, I just tried to photoshop that picture with him standing off to the side, but my photoshop skills need re-tuning REALLY bad. :tdown:
Where's TJ? lol
 

nallj92

Active member
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

Proforged does have a 4 bolt style upper joint that is 1/2 inch taller, should work with the uppers assuming the bolt patterns are the same ( they appear to be, however i have not tested this yet). I may be ordering a set for the chevelle and might mock it up on the phoon to see if they do work or not. I am not sure how much more room we have to go moving the a arm up higher into the rim however.
 

rentedmule

wanna-be
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

I never thought of the rim issue - I do clear my stock 15" rims no problem but again, the 2wd vs. 4wd thing may come into play.
 

b00sted87

New member
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

That is absolutely badass, my new background for sure. Do you have stock seats or do the stockers hold you okay? I couldnt imagine even thinking of attempting this at 25mph on stock suspension!

This is what mine looks like with a rear sway, rear coil LL setup, and front qua1's. Was doing a quick jot around a cone at about 40 at WOT in this pic. Feels flatter than it looks.

typhoon_tripod.jpg
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

That is absolutely badass, my new background for sure. Do you have stock seats or do the stockers hold you okay? I couldnt imagine even thinking of attempting this at 25mph on stock suspension!

Stock seats for me. I did notice this last event I did slide around a few times on the course where I had a bunch of speed and needed to do some quick direction changes to get through the next gate.

I seriously need to get my seatbelt fixed...it likes to slack out and not stay tight. I noticed in my gopro vids every time I pull up to the start gate, I actually grab it to take the slack out. Im quite certain its not staying tight while Im driving. Not good.
 

BMFB

Not to scale
Re: Body rooooooollllllllll

yea its still stock seats and belts, I don't know how they hold me in, but it has alot to do with the lock. As soon as I nail the throttle coming off the line I get thrown back in teh plush leather, and the seatbelt locks me in. I stay there pretty well usually, both hands on the wheel helps as well.
 
Top