Need tuning help for simple system.......

Beavis

Still plays with trucks
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

bad ecm can do funny things..... just thinkin and wondering......
 

warmpancakes

New member
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

theres 2 grounds on that stud if one has voltage on it that will cause all sorts of strange problems, what voltage are the sensors seeing?
 

slpcamaross97

New member
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

theres 2 grounds on that stud if one has voltage on it that will cause all sorts of strange problems, what voltage are the sensors seeing?

Im thinking the voltage that was found was only backfeeding. When i disconnected it i have no dash opp. but all the warning lights were on and dim. and the overhead dome light is dim as well. When the drivers door is opened the dome light goes off and cluster comes back on....
 

warmpancakes

New member
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

disconnect drivers door pin switch, it just threads out and theres one wire sounds like switch might be shorted, I have new ones at the house
 

johnboy89

Member
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

Reading through this your situation is somewhat similiar to mine. Mine does ok under boost though, but battling a knock issue like you. I've tried alot of the things you have with no success. I thought it was my tune also and tried a few different bins with no success. Sorry can't help you, but will be watching your thread.
 

Osmosis

New member
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

I would not say you wasted you money on plugs, cap, rotor and ignition module. I hate to throw money and parts at a problem, but you have ruled out some basic problems.

Start with basic things and work your way up. I've not read many posts on this threat, just woke up and man, AM I TIRED! Must have slept heavy. Anyway Think simple to attack this problem...Spark...Air...Fuel. Sounds like you have put new igntion part on, have you verified the ignition is working properly? Popping out the exhaust sounds like excessive unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust and being ignited by some sorce, hot exhaust gas, poor valve timing ect...... Do you have a WBO2? Remember, spark, air, fuel...rich exhaust? OR lean??? If you don't have a WBO2, try reading your O2 sensor, I can't remember what the mv's should read for a rich condition vs a lean condition. I think you want the O2 sensor to read .450 area.....if I remember right and .950 is rich....I THINK.

Either way, you need to know what the engine is doing when your getting the popping out the exhaust. I know you know this, just throwing some ideas out to ya. Good Luck!
 

slpcamaross97

New member
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

I would not say you wasted you money on plugs, cap, rotor and ignition module. I hate to throw money and parts at a problem, but you have ruled out some basic problems.

Start with basic things and work your way up. I've not read many posts on this threat, just woke up and man, AM I TIRED! Must have slept heavy. Anyway Think simple to attack this problem...Spark...Air...Fuel. Sounds like you have put new igntion part on, have you verified the ignition is working properly? Popping out the exhaust sounds like excessive unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust and being ignited by some sorce, hot exhaust gas, poor valve timing ect...... Do you have a WBO2? Remember, spark, air, fuel...rich exhaust? OR lean??? If you don't have a WBO2, try reading your O2 sensor, I can't remember what the mv's should read for a rich condition vs a lean condition. I think you want the O2 sensor to read .450 area.....if I remember right and .950 is rich....I THINK.

Either way, you need to know what the engine is doing when your getting the popping out the exhaust. I know you know this, just throwing some ideas out to ya. Good Luck!

I do not have a wide band 02. that is going to be the next thing i buy. Going to look over it with a really old school mechanic that worked with the trucks in the 90s.

I did find out that i can get it to do the concern while brake torquing it in reverse. So thats a good thing.
Truck will be worked on WED so ill keep you posted.
 

slpcamaross97

New member
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

Doing more checking found at idle my advance is 33 degrees. When starting to boost the spark advance drops to 12 ish when raising the rpm turing a brake torque.
 

slpcamaross97

New member
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

Also noticed when i can breke torque the engine and get the runs rough to happen. Aad during this their is NOT any knock Retard. Stays right at zero
 

neildemo

Administrator
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

I have a similar problem in my Sy I bought from Ca. Drives fine when under normal driving conditions soon as WOT it detonates. I replaced cap and rotor and plugs. I'm Lost on mine as well intrested in what you find out. These Trucks are Finicky!:(
 

slpcamaross97

New member
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

UPDATE...... FIXED

found that my nice aftermarket sparkplug wires were cauing the problem.... Replaced them with cheap ones from parts store. everything ok
 

13Pelle

Active member
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

UPDATE...... FIXED

found that my nice aftermarket sparkplug wires were cauing the problem.... Replaced them with cheap ones from parts store. everything ok

My MSD wires were giving me problems, put a set of Duralast ones on it and it runs better then ever. "Performance Parts" are overrated sometimes.....:2cents:
 

Sy-1177

Turbo Inside
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

My MSD wires were giving me problems, put a set of Duralast ones on it and it runs better then ever. "Performance Parts" are overrated sometimes.....:2cents:
Didn't want to hear that! I just picked up a brand new set of MSD wires from a local guy that I was gonna toss on the Sy. Hope my luck is a little better!

Glad you got that thing figured out though!! Sometimes its the simplest things that give us the biggest headache!
 

Beavis

Still plays with trucks
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

UPDATE...... FIXED

found that my nice aftermarket sparkplug wires were cauing the problem.... Replaced them with cheap ones from parts store. everything ok

Spark plug wires? Amazing how the small shit makes big problems. Glad you found it though.
 

qbnkiller

Conflaguration Specialist
Re: Need tuning help for simple system.......

Glad to hear man! I hope you got the 'lifetime' ones I told you about...
 
Top